Thursday, April 1, 2010

heartache- yes, still


Trust/Faith = Obedience (coming from a changed heart)
Unbelief = Disobedience
Not quite sure what I want to say or how to say it. I'm not even sure it'll be helpful, so feel free to glaze over this one, I'm processing "out loud". Also, that these are my thoughts- not Charlie's.

This pregnancy has been an answer to prayer. Charlie and I feel privileged at the prospect of this little life and being parents.

I guess for me- it's getting to the "be parents" part. (I mean that in the most pro-life sense, btw, so from here on out, please know as I write, yes, we fully believe at life upon conception). The thought of actually getting to be a parent seems sooooo far removed and unattainable, and like it will not happen.

And I should also say right here, that I'm (we're) fully trusting in our Abba, who created this little life (and the two others before it), and is completely able to sustain it, and has numbered this baby's days already in His book. He is carefully knitting baby together in the darkness of my womb. Ps 139:15-16

So, why is it that I feel so dark?! Like I'm the one being worked on in the shadows? (probably because, He has His chisel out and is chipping away at my self-relying, I-know-what's-best heart. And I needed to be tucked away for a few months for Him to get at me). No- I'm also not saying God is punishing or anything like that... but ya know, ya (I) just get so caught up in life's whirlwind, and really caught up when it comes to our lives intersecting with a baby...

I don't want to be quick to forget the wilderness He's taken us through and the things I learned there. The number one thing I want to remember is that I must desire Him alone, above all. Trials in the wilderness don't make our faith- it's where God proves our faith. (See also post "completely-in-all")

I guess this past month of being pretty much incapacitated by nausea and morning sickness, other aspects of these physical symptoms have popped up. It seems like this time around the physical sickness is bringing on true emotional-ness (?sadness?). My counselor tells me it's another stage of grief.

It feels like, in my head, that I've been lied to; not by God really, but by people. It makes me mad (and shouldn't) when people say (and are trying to encourage me) things like 'the sickness is all worth it in the end', or 'it'll go away soon', 'God will bless you with another baby, one that's healthy', 'you'll get to be a mom this time' or 'when you see that baby....'. (well, admittedly I agree- even when I saw Bennett I nearly forgot the pain, and time has taken the memory of the labor, and that round of morning sickness away, enough to desire it again). But I guess it makes me mad that 'they' say those things, and they don't really know -if they're true. They don't know what God has planned. Or if we'll ever have a baby, or child. They don't know if things will get better- really. Only God knows. And we're not promised those things here on earth. Only thing for sure is that all this will be worth it in heaven.

side note: Man I sound despondent. Truthfully, I do believe (and Charlie preaches to me) that we will indeed be parents one day, naturally or via adoption. Ps. 84:11


I guess the question then becomes how does one encourage and talk to hurting friend with faith? Believing with them/for them, when they can't fight alone?
I don't have the answer. (except quietness and prayer and physical presence).


Another aspect that's tough for me is my physical body. It remembers the last two pregnancies. I feel like I grew 3x's as fast so far, and have been more than double or triple the sickness/bloatedness. And because I feel this time, and felt the other two times, sick- it brings up my emotions. It's almost like my body is preparing it's self for loss. Like, 'ok, we're pushing through the sickness and throw-up part, and then comes the grieving, loss and sadness, and a different kind of physical and emotional pain part'. It's all I know of being pregnant so far.

I don't want to be preparing (especially with NO REASON) mentally for grief. Yes, I guess in some ways I am still grieving Bennett and little Ruttigar. And that's OK, and healthy, they're my children, I miss not having them. I just don't want to add to it, and take on tomorrow's worries today. I want to live in faith.

Next-Being confident that I will one day get to hold this little baby in my arms is like a dream; seemingly one I don't think will really come true. Why?! Am I lacking faith? I don't really feel fear about it. For if God does choose to take this little one, then that's what he had planned from the beginning of time; it will crush me, but my heart will yet praise Him. (Job 38-42) Why can't I live in confidence about this baby?

God help me to discipline my mind to consider diligently Your truth alone.

I've been doing a precept study on Wednesday mornings at church on Hebrews. It's been great. As I wrote this I was reminded of part of the lesson from Heb. 2:17-3:14 and 4:14-16 How to LIVE OUT YOUR FAITH in the body- idea's we shared in our class:
  • Stay in the Word
  • Focus on Christ
  • Stay in fellowship with other believers
  • Look for accountability
  • Look at and remember what God has done in the past - consciously
  • Admit the sin of fleshly comfort
  • CONSIDER Jesus. With purpose, to consider attentively, fix one's eyes or mind upon.
I think that these are a peice of the puzzle I'm trying to put together....




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

You have a way of putting your thoughts down that is so transparent and so hopeful... it is evident that you are trusting the Lord with this baby.

The day Matthias was born (even though he was still quite early) all we could say to each other was "We have a son and he is alive!" It seemed impossible for us to arrive at that point and then to realize that we couldn't start holding claims on his life even then... we still had to hold him in open arms to the Lord just like we had with Elias and the other sweet baby we lost.

We are among those who know all too well how fleeting life is and you will know and be reminded of that all throughout this pregnancy and throughout the lives of your children... I am trying to think of it as a good thing... lots of people never fully feel the weight of how precious life is. You and I feel that weight every day.

I am praying for you... and hoping in the Lord with you!

-Anna

Stephanie said...

Hi Amanda :) Loved your honest thoughts and feelings, it's amazing how much emotion can pour out of you in the midst of a pregnancy, huh?? It's good for you to express it...

3 things I want to share with you:

1. I didn't realize how raging my hormones really were until months after Ava was born, when they began to calm down again. Holy Cow!! It struck me that I hadn't really felt like "myself" for over a year...I forgave myself for a lot of things after discovering that :) Now they're raging once again!
2. A dear friend of mine gave me some wise advice when I was newly preggo with Ava. It had only been a few months after our miscarriage and I was riddled with lots of anxiety during those early weeks with Ava. I told her that I was scared to invest too deeply or get my hopes up, because there was no guarantee all would be well. She told me not to let the enemy rob me of my joy when he had no right to it. She reminded me that if the circumstances called for it, then I would have to accept it and begin grieving again, but until that day came, not to let him steal my joy! That was a game changing day for me. From that point on, I began to immerse myself in the hopes and dreams I had for my baby. I let myself be vunerable and I relished the joy of a baby who was still very much alive. It didn't diminish all that we had walked through or the baby who was/is waiting in Heaven; but it also didn't take anything more from the gift that was Ava.

That may not be of any significance to you, but it was big for me. It's not easy to navigate life and death, pregnancy and motherhood. But, that's the beautiful thing about the body of Christ...you are not alone :) My prayer for you is to find JOY even if it's just for today. The hurt is still real, but so is the little life inside you.
3. Don't spend another minute worrying about showing "too much!" At this moment, my 12 week body looks about the same as it did when I was 20 weeks! I can't believe how much quicker and how much bigger I already am :) I guess that's part of the journey...We can look "big" together!

So thankful we get to walk through this season at the same time!! I think of/pray for you often! Praying that your nausea will pack its bags and leave very, very soon!! Hang in there :)

Hayley said...

You came to mind last night while I was in the shower -ha ha- and I just prayed for you. Prayed that you would be able to trust God and not worry or be plagued with doubts and fears.

It is so scary to be pregnant after miscarriage & loss- you just don't view the pregnancy that same happy-go-lucky way that others do. (I know- been there.) I think your thoughts are pretty normal.

And what people say! Ugh! Just let it roll off! I can't believe how insensitive people are to the loss of a baby. Someone even told me after my miscarriage that we shouldn't have told everyone we were expecting so soon, that way we wouldn't have had to tell everyone we lost the baby. (I miscarried at about 9 weeks- nothing like what you went through, but still emotional and a loss.) Bottom line- people just do not know what to say. They don't intend to hurt you. Hang in there.

I still wonder the "what ifs" - how old our little one would be now- what he would have looked like- I think thats ok! One child doesn't *replace* another.

Praying with you that God will fill your arms and that your mommyhood will be long & crazy & free of hormones. (ha ha ha ha. good luck with that one!)

Caryn said...

I constantly need this same prayer, "God help me to discipline my mind to consider diligently Your truth alone." That is so where I am as well.

Living Stone said...

Manda, was thinking about you this morning! Just wanted to stop by and let you know that! I hope today is a more manageable day when it comes to the yuckiness.

Hugs and prayers from Kelly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...