Yesterday, Mother's Day 2010, I spent lots of time giving thanks for my mom. She is a woman who seeks the Lord whole-heartedly. I'm still learning from her servant spirit, caring heart, flexible and unpredictable style, and the love she shows to those around her.
And the last 6 1/2 years I've been able to give thanks for Charlie's mom too. She is a treasure, I'm blessed to have such a wonderful, caring, God-fearing, mother-in-law. (Who also did a fabulous job of rearing an amazing son!) She goes out of her way to serve those around her, and spares no expense to make them feel valued.
At church they honored mothers and mothers to be. And each year they also acknowledge that mother's day may be a difficult holiday for many women. Whether because of a child who doesn't know Jesus or is straying from biblical teaching, maybe the loss of your mom, miscarriage, death of a child, 'unanswered' prayer for desired children, not being married, abortion, etc. I think it's extremely thoughtful, and special. Yes, it's a day to rejoice for and honor our mothers, but often it can bring emotions of sorrow and sadness with it.
Last year I sat in the service and was in a similar position. I was sad about having miscarried Ruttigar, but rejoicing because little Bennett was inside my womb. That day I took a white rose to remember Ruttigar; not knowing what would happen just a few weeks later. This year I am (we are) rejoicing for the gift of Little Baby J inside my womb; (and praying for MANY more weeks there). But the white rose sitting on my table right now is in remembrance of our two children who are worshiping at the feet of Jesus. I can't honestly say I miss 'them'- because I didn't actually 'know them' (as in, who they are as people, personality, etc). But I certainly ache/hurt for the desire I felt to be their mommy, teach and train them, love them, etc. it is my loss- but truly their eternal gain.
Anyway, I want to say that I'm praying for my friends who are still desiring/praying for children, have lost a child (of any age), or desire to be married and start a family -and for some reason God has allowed or not allowed this in your lives. Please know I'm acknowledging your pain/desires, and praying for your spiritual encouragement. I love you! Isaiah 55:8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." And this is what I cling to, because some days, I sure think I KNOW what would make me feel better, but really I would be missing something that God has for me today, in this situation.
Charlie spent the morning cleaning up our yard. It was a gorgeous day, high 50's and sunny. We got a new lawn mower a week ago too, so this was it's first day on the job- Charlie was QUITE impressed with it. I pulled weeds for a few minutes out there. That afternoon we went a a short walk (actually Charlie says we'd have to categorize it as a "stroll"-maybe. 'cuz saying it was a walk we were on would imply we were going at a steady walking pace; which we were not. LOL!) But we made it- including stopping for a few breaks for air, tightness of stomach, etc. Today I'm feeling it. My sister said someone told her that you can count on 3 days to recover from every one day spent on bed rest. - GREAT. let's see...10 1/2 weeks of severe morning sickness/(bed rest in reality) would equal like 219 days of recovery time. OH DEAR! I'm praying that as my body allows me to do a little more each day I'll recover a little quicker than that! I've got to get my muscles and energy back in 5 1/2 months, not 7 1/2!!!
Well I'm off to do some yoga stretching and laundry.
hugs!
No comments:
Post a Comment