this one's been in the works...
...for WAY too long. Like, I started this before my world flipped upside down early this summer (6/15). I had started writing this, and hadn't finished. A few days later, God used soooooo many girlfriends and families in our own lives to SHOW us how it's done during our season of grief.
The time and love and effort and prayer that was put into those acts of kindness have not been forgotten. They have ministered to my heart over and over again. I got to learn by watching and receiving from you amazing women, and I hope to be able to pass on the love to others when the need arises.
Caring for hurting (whether from death, illness, depression, stress, family situation or something else) women (people) is a divine privilege. (1 Thes 5:11; Phil. 2:1-4) And it is encouraging to the giver and the receiver's faith!
This is MaryAnn. My dear friend who over the summer came with a project, or bread, or a hug and would just talk. (some days she could tell stories and I could listen-and not have to say anything. Other days I could talk and cry and she would listen). She is one of my mentors in our churches Titus Two program-if you can, -get involved! She knows how to "help a girl out"!Here are some very practical tips I've run across, mixed with my own, over the past spring and summer months.
MEALS
These are two fabulous websites that can help you organize the gift of meals for a friend. One of our friends used the carecalendar one and it would send automatic emails with updates and information for that day and outlook for the next three. It made the organization of it all rather simple. I thought the cool part was you don't even have to get on the phone to ask people to help; you create the care plan and then can send it in an email post it on facebook or blog it and thse who are interested can just signup through the link.
Molly has shared in such honest ways about the journey God has taken their family on. Part of that being the still birth of their daughter. Some of her posts reflecting on that season were enlightening. I found this how-to series on helping/walking with a friend through a tragedy especially helpful.
Just DO it!
Caryn says: Just do it! Sometimes hurting people don't know how to ask (or even know what to ask) for help. There is a whole series (how can I help her?) Caryn has blogged that is quite insightful. Her family has a special need child. She and her hubby are continually singing God's praise in such real ways.
Love'n PRACTICAL Polly style:
Beautiful Work Bloggers (one of the bloggers, Gretchen, is in my small group) have some neat idea's on how to encourage, love and serve fellow girlfriends or moms in super practical ways. Here they are:
Offer to watch her kids while she heads out on her own for a few hours.
Bring dinner, for no real reason…besides simply that you love them
Provide date-in-a-box for a friends who just had a baby.
When you show up for a play date, bring the other mom’s favorite coffee drink for her.
Plan a girl’s night and teach a skill you’d like to share (scrapbooking, sewing, a craft you’ve recently done…)
Head to a nearby Farmers Market and use some leftover grocery money to pick up a few inexpensive plants/flowers for your friends.
In the end:
I'm positive ya'll can dream up plenty more on your own so I won't add to this list. But the bottom line is this, just love on a friend, a sister, a brother, a spouse today. Let's strive to get outside of ourselves today and share the love that's been lavishly bestowed to us!
Hugs.

No comments:
Post a Comment