If this is news to you, well we all welcome you back from your hiking trip in the remote Himalayas. (and I am personally jealous of you).
Kinda hard to miss that this event is coming right up. Not as bad as when we lived in Iowa (an early primary's state)-they've had it bad with commercials and news for like a year and a half already.
Let me just preface this
So this is what gets me in election years especially: People's WILDLY opinionated and slanted statements, hardly fact-checked, and so cutting and insensitive. (I'm not taking sides here- not even a little). I'm not even going to touch on the politicians themselves, I'm talking about my friends and family here- people I know and love.
Great. Already stepping on toes.
My main open wound: Facebook. (and a random email here and there).
Who: lots of "friends" (I promise I don't have anyone particular in mind)
Why? Well, it's just too easy to post, share, or repost something that struck a chord with you in that small moment, in split second, with the click of a button. I think this may be the case for many. Or maybe posting your opinion online gives this feeling of false security to the one proclaiming their opinions or comments (ie: the positives and negatives to each candidate, their parties and their projected plans- good or bad).
It seems there is no balance or DEFERENCE to be found. People feel so led to use their social platform(s) to sway potential voters to their "side". -AS IF the insanely biased post will do any good (or !change the mind!) for the person of the 'opposing' party who you are supposedly trying to reach and recruit. (I mean, really, why else would you post a political commercial on your personal space, pushing for certain candidate or party, unless it was to sway other voters to see it your way? -we all know who we're are going to vote for in the end. And that is the beauty of our democracy, YOU are the only one at the end of the day who gets to cast your vote). {no sarcasm on this point- ok- in a perfect world, that's how it's set up}.
NOTES to MYSELF:
Where is our courteous respect for others? I'm not at all talking about laying down like a door mat, and not standing up for your beliefs, convictions, and rights... But it's PEOPLE we're talking to. Real people with real feelings and stories and needs connected to them. Speak in such a way that it communicates LOVE to them. Not just my love, but the Author of Love- Jesus.
Elections, laws and leaders and nations are actually TRIVIAL in the end. They are simply a part of the world we live in. We are called to pray for leaders, and respect (ALL) of them as believers. (and respect should be considered when posting "terrible" things they may have done that you disagree with). I guess my main issue is why do we feel so riled and compelled to campaign for our party of choice so valiantly? It is SO much more important to be fighting for the SOULS (not the votes) of those around us.
MY MAIN POINT
Am I winsome and showing Jesus to those who know me?
I feel like it's divisive to be posting (all the time) about politics. We could definitely be building walls, and turning away more potential believers when we take part in this. Would you say the things you post about to others face to face- all of your 907 facebook friends? - believers or unbelievers? Will it help you build a relationship that will help point that person(s) to Jesus? Do you really wanna die on that hill? Is there not only one decision/relationship we should be so passionate about sharing?
Not everyone is where you are mentally. Where has there story brought them, how did they get to today? How can I make Jesus look attractive to them today? How can I be loving to those I know?
Grace. I know we'll see lots of things we disagree with in the coming months, and there are very few issues that are just a matter of right and wrong, biblical or sin- but not as many as you would like to think. Be gracious, loving, thoughtful, and slow in your responses to what your eyes may come across. Think first about the kind of relationship you have or don't have with someone, is it truly helpful?
In the end only Jesus and eternity matter.

No comments:
Post a Comment