Wednesday, the day after we got back, I opened the mail to find a large anesthesia bill - just now being sent from the birth June 30! That felt really inconsiderate to me, sending the bill so late and the week of my baby's due date at that! Painful.
The day after Thanksgiving last year we found out we were pregnant with our first baby, Ruttigar. (Who died January 11, 09) That loss, although somewhat easier than the second, crossed my mind.
I'm not sure how to say this (with GREAT fear of it being taken the wrong way) but there's other factors that have made this season hard (but joyful!!!). Several of my most precious, dearest friends and little sister are more than half way through their pregnancies. These babies have been longed for and we've prayed for their lives, for years in some cases. So to say I'm happy about it- THRILLED and elated even - would be an understatement. Really.
But I must admit that now, more than when they were in their first trimesters, it's tougher to see them. (I mean, I love to see their just popping, darling bellies); but it's hard too. I wouldn't call what I feel jealousy, or bitterness, etc. Just sorrow I think. (Girls- you know who you are! I need you in my life and I need to see you and be with you- PLEASE don't stay away because of this; I want to be happy and celebrate with you)!!!
We do want a baby. It's something you could pray about. But for whatever reason God has not given us that privilege yet (well, living outside the womb anyway). (And Charlie would say- If you think about it from a big perspective- it really hasn't been that long). BUT- it feels like eternity to me. Each day I want/ache for a baby more. And to have yet another negative PG test this week just SUCKS!
I'm trying my very best to stay balanced, focused, stable, and hopeful. But it's not been easy for me this week. I want God to be enough. I want to stand on his promises.
At small group last night we sang Christmas songs. Joe printed out the word to the carols I would always sing by heart. For the first time I really read what one of the stanza's was saying. It hit me perfectly, and describes my hearts prayer in this tearful, tough season.
O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer Our spirits by Thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night, And death’s dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.
God with me.
8 comments:
I had no idea about your previous pregnancies and the loss of two babies. I am so sorry to hear that -- I'm sure the pain will lessen as time goes on but never fully go away. Praying for you!
We are praying, praying, praying! It seems cruel that all of the memories (good and bad) have been made around Thanksgiving for the last 2 years. I can't imagine the highs and lows of emotions that you've had to experience. But my prayer is that by next Thanksgiving you'll be holding a sweet baby of your own! (but of course we won't let you hog the little one all to yourself...I want to hold it too! :)
Love you!
Thank you Amanda...for being real, for sharing your hurt, for opening yourself up to the healing power of Jesus...your faith, though it may seem small right now, encourages me and so many...I'm so thankful for you and your friendship...we are definitely praying with you both...babies all around:)
Dear Manda,
Thank you for sharing your heart...
I can relate to you soo much, in soo many ways, with thinking about our sweet babies (all 4 of them between us!) in Heaven during the holiday and hoping and longing for the day when God will fill our arms with a baby to love and cherish. Yes, it is very hard being around so many other pregnant mommies..
I think of you often and pray for you and God's blessing on your family.
Dear Amanda,
I stumbled upon your blog today and realized I {kind of} know you. :)
My name is Wendi (used to be Hutchison) McCallum. We used to be in some of the same home school groups. I grew up in Cedar Falls Iowa, and now live in Michigan.
This post literally brought tears to my eyes. Wow Amanda - God has sure brought you through some tough times. You are an amazing example for him as you continue to give Him the glory!
My first pregnancy ended at 25 weeks. I gave birth to identical twin boys 3 months before their due date. Our Joshua David went to be with Jesus ten days later. Our Caleb Mark is an incredible survivor! He was 1 1/2 lbs when he was born and is now a 47 pound 6 year old.
When we lost Josh I, quite frankly, hardly even wanted to go on any more. The ache of loss was by far the most difficult thing I have ever gone through.
Last year I had a miscarriage and although it was a different kind of grieving, I felt it very, very deeply.
God HAS blessed us beyond my wildest imagination in amongst these losses though. :) We have been blessed with three other boys, Jacob, Noah, and Malachi.
I would love for you to visit my blog and read some of the journey God has brought us through. And please - email me any time! I would love to chat with you!
~Wendi
wendindave@ameritech.net
Amanda,
I'm sorry I didn't read this earlier. Just over a year ago when Elias's due date came and went I could have copied and pasted this blog post because I was feeling the same things. At the time "sorrowful yet always rejoicing" wasn't a fun thing for me to be going through. And I remember the super late hospital bill we got too it was so frustrating to have to deal with. I am thankful for the way the verse of that Christmas song ministered to you and I am so thankful that you know your heavenly Father is near you. With prayers and love, Anna
Love this post! SO it for me.
YES so where I am at!
Post a Comment